Rate My Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Juniors sparkle

I was really surprised to see the Indian cricket team drop Robin Uthappa for the first ODI against Australia. Uthappa has been such an excellent performer in the Indian team. There was really no point in dropping for the first ODI.

He had fared well in England. I remember an instance when he was asked to bat down the order at No.6 or 7, and still he managed to bat well at that position and India won that match. Right after that match, India went into the Twenty-20, and he performed there too.

I can't forget the way he hooked the deliveries bowled towards the off-side for a six during the Twenty-20 cup, or the Brett Lee bouncer that he hit for a six over the bowler's head during the second ODI in Kochi.

It looks like Ganguly will be there in the ODI tomorrow. I really hope that the Indians don't do the same mistake again by dropping Uthappa, and favoring Ganguly. Indians looked to be in a winning position when Uthappa was there batting against Australia. They soon lost momentum once he got out. This shows how destructive this player can be. I would certainly play Uthappa instead of Ganguly if I were the captain.

No comments: